Friday, November 7, 2014

Sort of Stellar "Interstellar"


This week my two teens and I went to see an early screening of Interstellar, an epic space movie that has been eagerly awaited by the legion who are fans of director Christopher Nolan. You can count me in that category thanks to Memento and Inception, because I love the puzzle-like qualities of those films.

Interstellar is about a dystopian Earth that has dried up and just suffers one sandstorm after another due to overpopulation and climate change. The only thing they can grow now is corn. Matthew McConaughey used to be an engineer and a NASA test pilot, but now he’s a farmer just like everyone else, trying to grow enough corn to keep the population alive.

Eventually he ends up discovering a scientific team who is working to find another planet that people can inhabit. He gets sent into space to explore some possible planets, which is possible thanks to a mysterious wormhole that has opened up near Saturn (think tesseract like in A Wrinkle in Time). Of course, his children, and his daughter in particular, are not happy that he is going to be shot into another galaxy, because if you had Matthew McConaughey in your family you might want to keep him close too. I enjoyed the warmth and family dynamics of the early portion of the movie.

The space travel that came next felt very real. I say that with all of the space travel knowledge of someone who has both seen all the Star Wars movies AND has been to Epcot. We saw the movie in IMAX which is likely the best (and loudest) way to see this one. I enjoyed the tremendous visuals of the different planets.

There were also lots of stars, by which I mean the people in the movie. But they aren’t all given something interesting to do, which is unfortunate. John Lithgow is such a talented actor, but he’s not given much to work with. I also really enjoy Anne Hathaway sometimes (see Becoming Jane in which she plays a young Jane Austen in a somewhat maudlin yet sighworthy film opposite James McAvoy. Sigh. Wait, what was I saying?). Here her character was never fully developed.

The movie is overlong and too drawn out. There is lots of scientific talk with varying degrees of realness, not that I would know the difference. But I did read an article afterward that told me what was real and what was not. The point isn’t whether it was real or not, but that they talked about it too much.

A big piece of the movie is relativity—particularly in time. Time passes slower on one planet than on another. Let’s just say that at the end of three hours I felt like I’d been on a space journey myself and that I came back a few years older than when I left. Reactions from my teens: the manchild felt satisfied by such an egregious amount of science that he could pick apart and ruminate on. He really liked it. The womanchild looked a bit like she might fall asleep a few times, but at the end she stood up and said “I saw a smart person’s movie. And I think I even understood it.”

So it’s a mixed bag. For a movie that, in part, deals with more dimensions than we currently perceive, it fell a bit flat.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment